Vertigo is a Latin word meaning whirling around. The condition is associated with malfunctioning of the vestibular system in the inner ear. People suffering from vertigo experience light headedness and dizziness. They also have a problem in maintaining balance and often feel nausea.
Dr. Health lists some home remedies to cope up with vertigo and relieve symptoms like nausea and dizziness.
- It is very important that you keep your body hydrated. Increase your intake of liquids, juices and water. At least 10 glasses of water should be consumed, daily.
- Rest is extremely essential in order to avoid nausea and dizziness. Sleep deprivation can further aggravate the problem, and lead to sudden bouts of vertigo. So make sure you get enough sleep. If you feel nausea or light headedness, lie down, let your body relax and try to sleep.
- While getting up from bed, make sure you get up slowly in order to avoid jerks. Sudden movements can result in imbalance thus causing nausea and dizziness.
- The muscles are under a lot of stress and tension in this condition, so gently massage the back of your neck to relieve the stress.
- People suffering from vertigo should avoid coffee. Drinking coffee causes imbalance in the blood pressure.
- Being hooked on to your cell phones, computers and latest consoles aggravates the problem. Reduce the amount of time you spend playing on mobile phones and other gadgets.
- Eat ripe strawberries or mix them with yoghurt and then have them to relieve the problems associated with vertigo.
- Medicinal properties of ginger are well known. Chew a piece of ginger, add it to your cup of tea or consume it in powdered form. It helps to keep your blood pressure under control and thus wards off symptoms like light headedness and nausea.
- Vertigo might leave you exhausted and cause fatigue. Mix some almonds in the form of a powder to a glass of warm milk, and drink. It will make you feel energetic and healthy.
- Add 2 tablespoon soaked wheat grain, 8 almonds, 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (khus khus) and 8 water melon seeds, grind together to make a paste. Heat a spoonful of ghee to a pan and fry 2 cloves in it. Add the prepared paste and milk into it, and drink. Consume this every day for about a week for relief from vertigo.
- A bout of vertigo begins with a feeling of nausea. Whenever you feel nausea or light headedness, add some salt, black pepper and lemon juice to a glass of water, and drink this to prevent a bout of vertigo.
- Soak some coriander (dhania) seeds and Indian gooseberry (amla) powder in water. Leave over night. Strain the infusion in the morning, add some sugar to it, and drink.
- You can also take the ayurvedic medicine called ‘sutshekhar rasa’ along with amla juice and honey. It is highly beneficial for people suffering from vertigo.