Typhoid is a bacterial disease and is considered to be one of the prime contagious diseases in the world. Caused by the bacteria Salmonella typhi, it is transmitted through contaminated food or water. The bacteria affect the intestine, causing ulcers. The symptoms of typhoid include fever, constipation, sore throat, chills, fatigue, weakness, slow heart rate, uneasiness, diarrhoea, etc.
Certain home remedies and dietary precautions can be of great help in managing typhoid fever and its symptoms. They can also aid in fast recovery.
- Typhoid fever causes a lot of weakness. It is advisable to take complete rest.
- Drink boiled water to get rid of typhoid fever. Drink the water when it is still warm.
- Grind 4 basil leaves, 7 black pepper tablets and 7 strands of saffron into a paste. Prepare small tablets from the paste, and take these 2-3 times during the day.
- Drinking buttermilk is a good cure for typhoid fever. Add some fresh coriander juice to it for better results.
- Mash a banana and add some honey to it. The honey-flavoured banana tastes good, helps to restore energy lost due to the illness, and aids fast recovery.
- Banana is a wonder food for recovering from the fever. Add mashed banana to a glass of butter milk and consume this daily.
- You can also consume orange juice, as it keeps the body hydrated and cool.
- Pomegranate juice also helps to rehydrate and energise a typhoid fever patient.
- You might get bored drinking the same fruit juice every day; include a variety of fruit juices in your diet. Apart from oranges and pomegranate, apples and sweet limes are also good for typhoid patients.
- Include vegetable soups in your diet. However, they should be bland; do not add any spices or condiments that might irritate the intestines. Make sure you boil the soup properly and strain it before consumption.
- A glass of warm water with a spoonful of honey added to it is a great remedy that helps to soothe the digestive system. Drink it as frequently as you can, as it also restores energy.
- Boil around 5 cloves in 2 litres of water till only 1 litre of water is left. Remove it from the stove, and let the flavour steep in for some time, and then filter. Sip this concoction throughout the day.
- It is advisable to consume food that is very easy to digest, if possible a diet of maximum liquids and fruit juices. Once the patient starts recovering, start including food items like a well-cooked khichdi, curd rice and kheer.